Monday, February 7, 2011

San Diego Get Away

My parents reserved a time share in Oceanside, California, a year ago and asked us if we wanted to come for a couple days. We don't pass up an opportunity to go to Southern California. The kids were left in good hands with dear friends and Eric's parents. We left Saturday afternoon and came back Monday night (January 29 - 31st).

9 pm we had reservations at Jake's of Del Mar. It sits right on the ocean with lights that shine on the ocean, very romantic as my dad put it.

We even went to church there. I was hoping we'd run into one of Eric's old girlfriend's but no such luck. Just a great sacrament meeting in a very nice building. My dad notices things like that.

My mom called me before we arrived to tell me that the place was spacious but a little dated and that our room had twin beds. Woo hoo! I get a bed to myself! Just kidding (kinda). Eric says he slept in it like a pig, wallering in his pen. In the middle of the night he woke me up to cover him and all I could find was the comforter. I was disgusted but couldn't locate the sheet or blanket. Poor guy. The next night we slept on the Murphy bed in the living room, together.

We spent most of Sunday at Balboa Park. I've been there 10 times but only the science center and Imax show. This place is full of culture and beautiful architecture that I was yet to appreciate.

And randomness.

I thought this museum would bore us all but we spent the most time in here. I think we're all maturing.

Interesting art sculptures too. I especially like the humans posing on it.

Mexican dinner in Carlsbad.

Monday we started the day with an apple fritter that didn't disappoint and then headed downtown for the trolley and toured the entire area. Mainly my parents just wanted to get a lay of land to see what the town had to offer. Their friends from home were flying in that evening and they wanted to know where to take them.

The view of my mom's hair. She warned us it would be interesting.

It was great to get away and spend time with my parents. They were probably a little disappointed in Eric and I as we were ready for bed at 9:30 Sunday night. You would've thought we were the "old folks." They really are young at heart and ready for an adventure. Next time, Eric and I will drink a 5-hour energy so we can keep up with them.

3 comments:

Colette said...

What a fun weekend!!

vvjenks said...

You would think it was cold--my fur collared coat seems to say that. Thank you for coming and showing us the sights--When you turn 60 you will try really hard not to act like it!!

Love you both.

Tiffani said...

your Mom is beautiful