Thursday, May 19, 2011

72 Hour Kits

We have been acquiring stuff for 72 hour kits for a couple years now but had never officially put them together. Family Home Evening seemed very fitting to finish the job. Eric and I went to this survival store here in Vegas and loaded up on what we were lacking. Being prepared is a daunting task sometimes. It makes you wonder if you'll ever be fully prepared. And, what are we really preparing for?

We were at my sister's house in Lehi over spring break, and after seeing her "cold storage" and preparation, we were inspired to get home and add to ours. Plus, I read this book, "One Second Later (I wouldn't recommend reading it unless you want to be scared of what could realistically happen in our day and age), and went into a state of panic. For about a week, I woke up every morning with a heavy heart, feeling stress. Eric reminded me it was "fiction" and to calm down. It's crazy how reading and picturing things effects you.

I have always been skittish about things that are foretold (destruction and suffering), approaching it with fear. The scripture that says, "...if ye are prepared, ye shall not fear..." makes me ask myself why I have so much fear? Does it mean I lack faith? Probably so. I'm working on it. When I talk to my mom about the subject, she always puts my mind and heart at ease. Her take on it all is that you don't need to be extreme, just be obedient and do what you're supposed to do. I like her reasoning and need to adopt it.

I guess Eric losing his job could've been a really scary thing if we hadn't been somewhat prepared. No one around here missed a meal, we have a roof over our head, a car to drive, clothes to wear, our health and a forever family. That's putting it in perspective.

and on a lighter note... the picture-perfect family!

1 comment:

vvjenks said...

You are motivating me again! That is quite the family picture. Letting your heritage show reminds me that we need to study up on our heritage.

Glad you are prepared