Monday, April 4, 2011

The Wetlands

Does this look like "The Wetlands?" I struggled with the name too. Jackson and Leighton's classes went on a field trip here last Thursday. It was "hot and humiliating" (humid) as Leighton put it. But that doesn't mean anything negative. They said it "rocked" and were so happy I could share the excursion with them. My perspective was a bit different but I kept it to myself, until now.
The above picture is of a mesquite tree with mistletoe growing on it which in turn is sucking the life out of it. It's beautiful, isn't it?! The kids were ooing and awing over it.

This was a stream with dragonfly's flying over, little, microscopic fish and plants that need water. The guide was trying to find anything to get the kids attention. She did an amazing job making a mole hill out of a tad pole. Occasionally she would ask for silence, as she was trying to figure out what type of bird was chirping. The kids had little booklets to check off plants or animals they came across or "evidence." Evidence consisted of foot prints, noises, and skat (animal poop). You should've seen the kids gather around a pile of skat trying to figure out what animal is might have come from! Mostly we came across rabbit and coyote but were lucky to find owl pellets too. The boys took a picture of it and really want me to post here but I will spare you.

These two spiced things up along the way, thank goodness.

A sad, burnt tree but majestic in its setting.

The "island" as it was referred to. A few ducks called it home and possibly a raccoon.

There was a grove of cotton trees that asphixiated everyone. Cotton was in the air. As it settled, it looked like snow as seen here.

The way these trees were growing was the coolest picture I found.

Evidence that a raccoon was nearby.

Leighton started taking pictures and insisted I be in one. I need proof that I was there. I even rode the bus. It was almost 90 degrees and I was a hot mess.

Our lovely guide that Jackson took a picture of. She earned her keep.

You can make your own assumptions from my review but all that really matters is that the boys had a good time and a good time they had.

4 comments:

Colette said...

Hilarious! :)

Laci said...

Why can't I stop laughing!!? Seriously, just the thought of you going through those "unique" pictures of nature and commenting on them makes me crack up!! I know you, and that is NOT what you'd consider beauty of the earth, but you ROCK for going and making it a memory for the twins!! Haha...still laughing!!

tonyandalli said...

90 degrees?!? I'm a little jealous.
Cuz we still have snow.
Boooooo!!!

Rylee said...

reading it was just as funny as hearing you tell the story. too funny!! love the picture of your guide at the end.