
5600+ miles, 10 gatorade bottles filled with something besides gatorade, and every fast food chain possible...WE SURVIVED (barely)! We traveled through and around 6 states (NV, AZ, UT, ID, OR, WA, MT) and made memories only we could make. I took 400 pictures and have tried to condense them to a manageable amount. We really had such a good time and are grateful to my parents who put up with us living in their house for most of the time.
In my travels I decided that the national flower should be the orange cone because it comes out in full bloom every summer. You gotta love construction. At least I had air conditioning and wasn't the one stuck outside holding the sign. However on one occassion, I did slam on my brakes and remove myself from the van to stand on the side of the busy freeway because the inside of my van was too much to handle. I told the kids I wasn't driving until they shaped up. 5 minutes further down the road I slammed on the brakes again and kicked all 4 of them out. When I told them they could get back in (after lecuturing them on proper behavior), Kennedy just sat there. I slowly started to drive off and the boys said, "You can't just leave her!" I know, I know. Mother 0f the Year material (I never would've left her). Needless to say, she got back in and...they still didn't behave. This was the 10 hour drive from Washington to Idaho when I became "mental" and they did too. At least we were all in it together.
In my travels I decided that the national flower should be the orange cone because it comes out in full bloom every summer. You gotta love construction. At least I had air conditioning and wasn't the one stuck outside holding the sign. However on one occassion, I did slam on my brakes and remove myself from the van to stand on the side of the busy freeway because the inside of my van was too much to handle. I told the kids I wasn't driving until they shaped up. 5 minutes further down the road I slammed on the brakes again and kicked all 4 of them out. When I told them they could get back in (after lecuturing them on proper behavior), Kennedy just sat there. I slowly started to drive off and the boys said, "You can't just leave her!" I know, I know. Mother 0f the Year material (I never would've left her). Needless to say, she got back in and...they still didn't behave. This was the 10 hour drive from Washington to Idaho when I became "mental" and they did too. At least we were all in it together.
**Side note: I will be posting as I can because as of today 7/30/09, I'm still not done. Lots more to come.
6 comments:
Love all the pictures, especially the ones with all the grandkids. From a mother of 4 to a mother of 4, you are entitled to go "mental" any darn time you want!!! :) Glad you are back, we missed having you around!!!
So glad you had a great trip. Glad you're back so I can get my Bateman fix more often! Your posts always bring a smile to my face :)
I am glad you guys made it safely home, especially after three days on the road...We missed seeing you guys this last month, but it sure seemed like you really had a blast and enjoyed all the family time! We are glad you are back, even though it is ridiculously hot outside! It always takes a few day to re-adjust to life at home after being gone for several weeks! Hang in there!
whew! just got done looking at all your posts and there were a lot! looks like your escape from the heat was a success. we are in san diego until tomorrow so i'm sure we'll see you guys in church sunday. the story of you "leaving" kennedy had me cracking up. i can just see you doing that! glad you guys are back!!!
You know Alli, Mike left Eric and I in Salt Lake when we had a scuffle in the back seat of his care after he took us to a water slide during a summer visit to their basement apartment in Provo. We walked to a bus stop and tried to figure out if we had enough change to get back to Provo. Luckily he pick us up 1/2 hour later. I'll never forget that lesson!
Here is a little humor for you:
A elderly gentleman was strolling through a quiet residential neighborhood when he came upon a little boy sitting on the curb, crying. "What's the trouble, son?" he asked. "Are you lost?"
"Worse than that," the youngster sobbed. "Mom lost her book on child rearing and now she's using her own judgement!"
(http://kcbx.net/~tellswor/raischil.htm)
All I can say is you must really love all of us and your kids to do the insane things you do. We loved having you and can't wait to have you again. Detton is still asking when his friend Bossy is coming back.
Post a Comment