Monday, December 22, 2014

December tid bits

Remember the days when I blogged once a week?  I loved to do it and enjoyed reading the comments that everyone left.  Fast forward to 2014 and blogs seem to be a thing of the past and I find myself gearing up to do a post.  Just like anything else, the longer you wait, the harder it is to motivate yourself and remember things that transpired.  It is my hope that I do better in 2015 and beyond because I know this blog will be treasured for years to come by my children and family.


We kicked off the Christmas season with our annual family home evening and pajama gifts. Ugly Christmas wear took center stage.  Cheers to a wonderful holiday season!


This picture got lost in the shuffle but deserved to be on the blog.  Kennedy was babysitting for Paul and Laura and Boston tagged along.  When it came time to go home, Paul couldn't get Boston to wake up so what's the next best thing - take a picture of course:)


 The ward relief society progressive dinner was held at my house (the main course part) and I had fun decorating and gussying the place up.  I took a bunch of pictures of the different table settings and can't locate them.  My picture filing skills stink.  I need someone to come clean up my computer and get me organized.  Any takers?


The twins wore their temple best to school one day because they were leaving early to do baptisms and before school started I came out to Leighton raking leaves.  Starting his day off right!


Boston was sooo stressed about his knee check up as you can tell.  Dr. Meeks gave him these fancy pants to wear for the x-ray and he wasn't thrilled.  The good news - we walked in on crutches and out carrying them.  Fracture was healed up.  He just had some fluid that needed to drain and that should take about a month.  He was cleared to practice basketball but avoid "contact."  Ha ha.





 Boston wrote this sweet note to Coach Dan Corvino for a school project.  He was excited to mail it to him.  You just never know the impact you're going to have on someone.


Boston had Simon over to play.  They are in the same grade.  Just a bit of a size difference:)


I found this award in Leighton's backpack sometime in December.  All the 7th grade teachers vote on this and there are only 6 given out per month.  When I dug it out of his backpack I asked him what it was all about and he just smiled.  I told him this is a BIG DEAL!  How come you never showed it to me?  He forgot.  I am glad he's making choices like this and sees it as no big deal.  He gets teased because he's a little uptight at school regarding swearing, will be the first to stand up for someone being teased or bullied and likes to talk in detail about everything but I am glad he's just the way he is.




I also received a call from the junior high principal as I was out shopping for Christmas one day.  My heart sank.  He then went on to tell me how impressed he was with Jackson and Leighton and the fact that they both shake his hand and look him in the eye when they see him, he's witnessed them interacting with students and likes what he sees.  I felt myself tearing up as we talked and totally relieved at the reason for the phone call.  I believe in miracles!


Kennedy had a big project for Principals of Law that of course had to be taken to the next level.  She can't do anything the easy route.  She had to make a movie from the movie "Oliver."  She enlisted Boston's friends and her own dedicated friends to act, dance and sing while she directed.  It took much more time and effort than anticipated (isn't that always the case) and then we had technical difficulties with the uploading to YouTube and flash drives and computers and Google drive and and...  She presented it a week after it's original due date but her teacher told her not to stress and everything would be fine.  I wish more teachers were like him.  She received an A on it and definitely deserved an A for effort.  We all did.


Valiant friends



We did a little cowboy boot shopping.  Eric is convinced we all need boots if we're seriously going to be Texans.  I think it's a bit cliche.


Kennedy trying on some new shoes of her own.  She's supposed look "business professional" for her BPA competitions and speech and debate classes and has had a hard time finding shoes in her lovely size 11.  These made the cut.  I especially like the socks. 


Our neighbors, Ingrid and Alina, are the best cake ball makers I've seen and tasted!  We can't resist them.  I almost felt bad eating this cute little snowman.  Almost.


It wouldn't be Christmas without our annual holiday card and message.  I got a little long winded this year and took up an entire page.  

2014
Greetings our Dear Family and Friends!

What a difference a year makes!  We did something wild and crazy again this year.  We moved!  No, this isn’t a recycled message from last year.  After 10 months in Utah, an opportunity with Eric’s work presented itself and it meant he wouldn’t have to travel [as much]. We knew it was the right move for our family and so in June of this year we made Friendswood, Texas, our new home and it has welcomed us with open arms.  The saying, “Everything is bigger and better in Texas” seems to fit our family, at least the “bigger” part.  We are loving it here and hope to stay a while.

Boston jumped right in with a wonderful baseball family and made his presence known.  He is a foot taller than everyone and has gained 20 pounds since our arrival.  He’s in the 3rd grade (9 huge years old) but would prefer to play a sport over going to school. He had a little mishap with a clown this year. He cracked his left knee cap running from one — ran full speed into a brick wall. He is deathly afraid of them just fyi. He’s not afraid of girls though.  He’s famous for welcoming women young and old with, “H-e-l-l-o Ladies.” He can’t wait to start dating.

The twins (12 big years old) are also doing their fair share of growing.  They are pretty sweet boys but are quite annoyed with each other most of the time.  Come bed time it’s another story. On many occasion I have found them cuddled together.  They have done this since they were little and I thought for sure they would outgrow it by now but can still spoon with the best of them.

Leighton is 12 going on 50.  His birthday request included a Rolex and a Tempurpedic mattress.  When we told him we were considering a move to Texas near Houston he chimed in with, “Oh great!  I can’t wait to network with the engineers of NASA!” Being the engineer that he is, he put his skills to work and built a redneck air conditioner that any mom would be proud of.  He’s the real deal.

Jackson’s gift list included the necessities of life like beef jerky, an energy drink poster, Old Spice deodorant, and a ride in a limo or Ferrari. Now that’s a boy I can shop for.  Jackson was so excited one day when we were sitting at a fast food joint and a woman approached our table.  She offered up a corn dog. You would’ve thought my boys were starving.  Jackson swiped it and didn’t look back.  After finishing it he said,  “I can mark that one off my bucket list — some random woman gave me a corn dog.”  He has quite the bucket list.

Kennedy (almost sweet 16) was our biggest concern with the move however she has embraced the change.  She’s very involved with school, clubs, cross country, church, seminary, and sleep.  She can’t get enough of it.  I think it’s a genetic trait I passed on to her.  She loves Pinterest and in return has crazy expectations.  I am constantly telling her I WILL disappoint her with my party planning, food presentation and diy projects.  She keeps us all on the strait and narrow although the highway may have to wait to grace her presence.  My nerves can’t quite take it yet.  I thought I was pretty patient…

Eric is uniquely Eric.  A special quote from him, “Your mom and I don’t always see eye-to-eye but there’s one thing we can agree on and that’s that we are both passionate about ME!”  Passion is his middle name — from food to real estate to his family.  He took on the big challenge of remodeling our home here in Texas while living in the Holiday Inn and conferring with me via Pinterest,  iPhone pictures and Lowe’s late night runs.  He started his new job in February and the rest of us moved out in June when the renovation was nearly complete.  He’s got mad talent when it comes to interior design.  He really can do it all — in a bigger and better way!

I (Miss Ally around these parts) am fat and happy as the story goes.  Each day I feel blessed to be a mom, a wife, a sister, a daughter, and to have wonderful family and friends, to live in a free country and worship as I choose.

We are all grateful for this season and the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ whom makes it all possible.  We hope y’all are one year older and wiser too, enjoying the best gifts life has to offer.  
Merry Christmas and Happy 2015!

Love,
The Batemans - Eric, Allyson, Kennedy, Jackson, Leighton and Boston


And the picture that tells the truth.  My kids like everything about this picture except me.  They say that's not what I'm about.  Well, of course it's not.  It's a metaphor for the scene:)  This will probably be the only surviving picture of it because it really bothers the kids.  I guess I'll stick to my side ways lip curl next time.  I'll have to post that in the near future.  It's pretty ugly:)

3 comments:

Rylee said...

your christmas card is always my highlight! i laughed my head off reading it when it came in the mail. looks like it was a great holiday season. sure miss you guys! and seriously boston and that boy are in the SAME GRADE!?!?

Laci said...

What fun you had in December!!! Love all the pictures. I have to tell you(although I know I've told you before), but watching those twins grow and mature into such great young men has not only blown my mind, but given me lots of hope for my future ;) And I truly give you all the credit.....you should be so very proud! I love hearing Kennedy is embracing Texas. Tell her those shoes are top notch!! I'm gearing up for Haylee's first big formal dance this month. Wow....time flies!! Love you and miss you all!!

Laci said...

Oh....and as a kid doc, Brian is REALLY struggling with Bostons friend situation. Without him saying a word, his face was screaming, "That is not normal!!!" Haha Classic. Gotta love genetics!!!