We thoroughly enjoyed our 9 months in Utah and made friends we'll cherish forever and picked up on relationships that were made before. Life is about the journey and the experiences that happen along the way. These pics are a small taste of the wonderful friends and family we will miss as we move onto the next journey...
Kennedy and her friends have a tradition to kidnap whose ever birthday it is and take them for breakfast. This morning is was Kelsey Higbees. They were all up at 6 am sacrificing their beauty rest for a fellow friend:)
Kennedy wanted to have a going away party for all her friends and insisted on making homemade lemonade and putting her pins to use (damn Pinterest). I assured her I would disappoint her in her expectations but gave it my best shot. We had a popcorn bar along with appetizers and dancing. The 8th grade dance was the same evening so a few girls came before the dance and then more came after. Kennedy's dance moves were the focus before the dance. Her friends were teaching her how to do a body roll and all sorts of other moves that my body isn't capable of doing (or at least in my mind).
Boston slaved with Kennedy the night before squeezing 40+ lemons. He was thrilled.
Before the dance, all put together with their lipstick.
After the dance with 10+ girls in a van with only 7 seat belts. I'm such a rebel mom.
The nicest group of girls.
Another birthday celebration for Kelsey. Let them eat cake, or spread it all over each other:)
Jackson won this lollipop while cleaning the church. He swept faster than Leighton.
We visited our favorite pedicatrician, Dr. Brian McCune with all four kids but were only allowed to have 2 at a time come to the office (that's company policy...so they say). I think it's because we're a little too much to handle:) Dr. McCune was very thorough with the kid's physicals and sent us on our way with a clean bill of health.
My friend, Amy Moore (yellow chevron shirt), turned 40 years young in May and a group of ladies got together for brunch at "Food for Thought" in Draper, UT. A yummy place for breakfast, brunch or lunch. Everybody loves Amy! She lived down the street from us and I immediately felt a bond with her. Such a sweetheart.
I picked this sign up (she had it printed I just grabbed it from the store) for our neighbor and friend, Melissa Willie, as her son was coming home from his mission in Mexico. She was so excited and we shared in her excitement. It was great to live across the street from her and her family.
Leighton and Jacob custom painted this snack shack that sat outside Jacob's house, and they sold all sorts of crazy things out of it. I don't know that I would recommend buying any of it but they were sure proud of it.
Kennedy and Emily really hit it off this past year and had so much in common. Emily's mom is the daughter of Ed Pinegar who was Eric and my bishop when we met. Small world.
My token cold sore made its appearance right around the time I said, "I'm moving." They go hand in hand.
Memorial Day weekend we had a barbecue with Melissa and her family, and Mike, Preston, Emily and Christian. Mike and Preston were in town for father's and son's basketball camp and of course Emily and Christian live in Provo.
Eric rigged up this red neck flag. It's the least we could do for those that have sacrificed so much for our country.
Boston spent most of the afternoon playing catch with Greg (Melissa's husband).
So great to be able to spend time with this lovely family.
The twins have been learning dances in p.e., like real dancing with the stars dancing. They were matched up with dance cards for their 6th grade dance and tore it up. They were dripping with sweat and had a mighty fine time.
One evening the week we were packing up to leave we met Shannon and Dave and kids at Mountain West Burrito. I was beginning my mourning process at this point. The reality that this was probably the last time we would share a meal together for a while was kicking in. It was a mellow evening, just the way Shannon likes it:)
Kennedy was able to go The Lagoon for her 9th grade trip. She had studied the rides and was prepared to try them all. She really does her research and wanted to make the most of the day. She had a blast!
The Moore family had us over for dinner the day the moving truck showed up and pretty much packed everything up. We had Navaho tacos and they were fun and yummy. Never had those before. We also roasted s'mores and visited way too late around their camp fire. I am in full mourning at this point.
Jackson and Jason share a special bond. They're just drawn to each other. Jackson told Jason a great departing gift would be a bottle of JDawg's sauce to send him on his way. Maybe it's hot dogs that bring them together? Whatever it is, it's sweet.
Eric got real comfy in this chair made for him. As you can tell we felt right at home with the Moore's.
Kennedy and Eden
Owen, Leighton and Boston (Eli was working at Thanksgiving Point golf course)
The twins graduated from 6th grade (nice when you get a graduation celebration in 5th grade and 6th grade - the price of moving). As I was watching them walk up to the school with their backpacks I felt my heart tugging as they looked like missionaries. They were looking sharp for the day.
All thumbs up from Jackson and a political wave from Leighton.
Both boys received STRAIGHT A's at least one semester this year and were on A-B honor roll the others. A monumental year.
Landon has been a great friend to both boys but Leighton especially bonded with Landon.
They had a wonderful teacher (I've eluded to this before), Mrs. Mendenhall. Katelyn has been like a teacher to them as well.
Kennedy participated in her school's 5K along with lots of her friends. I love that she has a variety of friend's and is so happy.
This friend, Jackson McChesney, is a friend that she especially liked. The first boy she's ever talked about how good he looked in his clothes. Umm. Good thing we stay on the move:)
Makayla, Makayla. A friend through and through for Kennedy. I hope someday they can be roommates in college. They were at the Timpanogos temple this day doing baptisms.
Last day of school faces. Looking pretty relaxed.
On our bucket list before we moved from Utah, was to eat at JDawg's. Kennedy and I are not hot dog kind of gals so we could take it or leave it but the boys were eating it up! Jackson's was gone in 30 seconds. Eric was asking about a franchise. The Wallis family joined us for this bucket list item and felt similar to Kennedy and I.
Another item on our bucket list was to hike the Y. The Wallis crew was up for the challenge. Eric had never hiked the Y so he really wanted to check this one off his list. It's a pretty steep hike and we did it at 3 pm with the hot sun but we all made it to the top and relished in the view once we got there. It was a real treat to share this experience with Mike and Melinda with whom I am recruiting heavily to move to Texas. Life would be much more complete with Melinda here.
Eric led us up the canyon afterwards to Sundance for a sucker at the Foundry then we dipped our toes in the cold water.
I found all these rare gems on Kennedy's phone and couldn't pass up posting all of them. From what Laci says (Haylee's mom), Haylee is quite stingy with hugs so that makes all this more special.
Kennedy's friends surprised her with a going away party and the hugs were endless. I was even crying by the end of it all. The group of friends that she's made in Utah have made an ever lasting impact. She came to Utah a very different young lady than she's leaving and I'll be forever grateful.
Does it get any better than a trampoline full of friends?
It was a rough night once we got in the van and said good bye. Kennedy has my trait of welting up and getting a red nose when she cries. She's still a true beauty.
Boston played in his last two games the night before we flew to Texas. Vortex club team was another blessing. Wonderful coaches and great teammates. Just what Boston needed to feel right at home.
Eric had this bike repainted and spruced up with the hopes of selling it but considered keeping it and then selling it then keeping it but in the end he listened to his wife and left it in Utah at Legend's motorcycle shop, FOR SALE. We are going to need a car for Kennedy to drive (within 6 months) and decided the motorcycle would help us get there sooner. Eric enjoyed the little bit of time he got to sit on it.
I will miss so much about Utah - the seasons, the mountains, dear, dear friends, my sister and her family, being closer to family, top notch friends for my kids, my neighborhood, and so much more. I won't miss an iced over drive way, sick kids, and sometimes the culture (if I'm being honest) but that's about it. It's a wonderful place to raise a family and enjoy the great outdoors.
We have jumped in with both feet on this move to Texas and are exited to share a piece of it very soon. In the final stages of our remodel and feeling a little more comfortable each day (outside of the constant sweating). Life is good today.














































3 comments:
Hey!! So fun to see all of your pics and hear all of those fun Bateman stories! The lemonade is seriously impressive!! You are a rockstar mom!! I'm not surprised you guys made such great friends in such a short time. I know you will be missed - I also know TX is so happy to have you and you'll make immediate, lifelong bonds there as well. Can't wait to hear about your new adventures... Love you, friend!
Loved the update! Can't wait to see the house reveal and hear about all about texas!
Ah....looking at all these make the reality so much more REAL!!! You're gone! So glad you were able to have some fun last moments with so many people that love you guys! Brians practice won't be the same without his favorite twins!!! ;) Those pictures of Kennedy and Haylee shocked me....tears welled in my eyes. Such cute, good girls!!! But, that picture of her crying was too much....breaks my heart....she really had some great friends here that loved her!! She'll thrive in Texas too....she's knows the ropes! I miss you my friend, and can't wait to see lots of pictures of your new life!!! xoxo
Post a Comment