Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Spring Break, Bateman Style

THE PLAN:  Road trip to San Francisco with lots of stops in between. 
HOW: Kids will make money from a garage sale, mom will dance and dad will barter.
WHY:  We love spending time together trapped in a mini van inhaling boy fumes.
WHEN:  Spring break 2013
HERE IT IS...


The night before spending money was dispersed and put into envelopes.


Friday we hit the road with our first stop being in Baker, Cali for a lottery ticket (because we're saints like that).  Kennedy won 3 whole dollars in Bingo.


We spent the night in Valencia and woke up bright and early to meet Eric's boss John, his wife, Venetia, and their son Johnny (a senior in high school who was just accepted to Stanford and UCLA) at their home and then in pure Bateman fashion, share a meal together.  John recommended the Way Station.  It was good ole home cookin at it's best.  The boys chatted Johnny's ear off.



Next stop, Six Flags Magic Mountain.  It was a right down the street.  We thought everyone would be prime for this place.  Not so much.  Boston was scared to ride most rides and Eric didn't fit.  The rest of us had a grand time, especially me.  I was ready to take on all the rides.  We weren't able to ride the really scary ones because of fear and lines but I hope to go back and try again soon.



This is how Eric spent most of his day and where Boston contracted what we think was poison oak.


The one ride Eric could do.  

After Six Flags, we headed up the coast to one of our favorite places, Santa Barbara.  We woke up the next morning and went to church in Camarillo where Eric is a celebrity.


Following church (like the saints that we are), we headed to Target to get an air mattress.  An hour or so later, we came out with a cart full of junk which meant we needed to rearrange things.  The kids decided they weren't comfortable in their church clothes and Eric felt the same way so they were all changing in the parking lot with doors wide open.  I don't even think Eric covered himself.  Me, I concentrated on trying to make everything fit and avoid eye contact with the passers by.


Kennedy's only request this trip was to go to the beach.  We spent approximately ONE hour at the Beach the entire 7 days.  Poor girl.  It was a beautiful hour nevertheless.



Dinner was at Pascucci's followed by ice cream at Rite Aid.


And as a night cap, we took in Life of Pi in 3D at the Arlington Theater.  Then, we drove a couple hours to San Luis Obispo for the night, arriving around midnight.  Sunday, we noticed a rash developing on Boston.  We called Eric's brother Mike (a doctor who is a saint) and he said to try Benadryl and take him in Monday if it got worse.  Monday it was worse, covering his arms, legs,  lower stomach, and easing up his neck to his face.  A quick care was in order.  Quickest quick care I've been to.  Medstop has it figured out.  The doc was pretty sure it was poison oak or something similar.  She prescribed a 7 day dose of steroids.  She asked if anyone else in the family had a rash and I told her I had something on my back.  She took a peek and turns out I have Shingles!  Go figure.


Do you know what steroids do to kids?  Can we say hyper?  Boston was bouncing off the van walls.




We pigged out at Mo's Barbecue in San Luis Obispo before heading on our way to San Francisco.

 


Eric seems to be having an allergic reaction too.  It's called too many ribs and days of vacation with this family :)


The twins were obsessed with their 3D glasses sans the lenses.  Kennedy had plenty of comments about them but we let them be.  It's not every day you see identical twins wearing lens-free 3D glasses.


Stanford was the first place we drove through upon arriving in the San Francisco area.  Gorgeous campus!  If Kennedy goes here, Eric and I will both have to work 2 jobs.


Just a taste of a day in the life of our hotel rooms.  We bought an Aero bed and snuck it in.  We would rearrange the furniture every night and blow up the bed then reverse the process and hide the Aero bed every morning when we went out for the day.  Much cheaper than paying for two rooms.  Come one.  Who doesn't do this?


Day 4 of our vacation finally brought us to downtown San Francisco, Pier 39 or Fisherman's Wharf.  Of all the places to eat, these guys picked a hot dog stand first. #ihatehotdogs.



The hot dogs were just a snack.  Down the street we found Boudin's Bakery and enjoyed a delightful lunch.  They have been making sourdough bread since 1849.


We purchased a 48 hour city bus tour which included Alcatraz and the Wax Museum.  A three hour tour to Alcatraz opened our eyes and ears, proving to be one of our favorite stops.  This history here is amazing.




The boys pretended to play baseball on the field the inmates played on.


We felt what it was like to be in a tiny cell, behind bars.  Hopefully it was as close as any of us will ever come to a jail cell.



The island is only 1 mile from downtown.  It looks very close.  Because of the currents and temperature of the water, no one was every successful at swimming their way to freedom (that they know of).




The wax museum was creepy and cool all at the same time.  Leighton is doing a book report on Albert Einstein so this will be used for his project.


As close as we'll probably come to standing next to the presidents.


Boston and his beloved Yankees.


We only packed enough for three or four days which meant doing laundry was a necessity.  Kennedy and I were taking care of the task this day but in Eric and the boys defense, they did help on another day.  I just don't have the picture to prove it.  #hotellaundryishighwayrobbery



I think we're on on day 5 at his point, taking in the open air bus tour.  One thing that I wasn't prepared for was how cold it was.  We actually needed Uggs and parkas.  Don't get me wrong.  I love the lower temperatures.  I just wasn't prepared.  We didn't last long on top of the bus.  Down below was much cozier.  We took in the majority of San Francisco including Golden Gate Park and Bridge, Union Square, the Russian district, China Town, Little Italy, Financial District, Haight Ashbury and much more.  We spent the most time in Haight Ashbury shopping the thrift and vintage shops.  The aroma was very strong coming from some of the stores.  The twins asked what the smell was and Eric told them "that's the smell of grass burning."  The area is full of people stuck in the 60's and people living off the streets.  I bet that makes you want to jump up and go there?  It's actually quite the experience.


The boys picked up some XBox games here at Amoeba Records.


The twins were poppin tags at this high end vintage shop. #theyneededmorethan20intheirpockets


I swear this is the dress my mom made for me when I was about 10 years old.  My sisters had similar versions with maybe a lace or ribbon or neck line change.  We wore it for a ward fashion show.  It was fun to dig through clothes from my eras and see how things have changed or come full circle.


This area was called "The Meat Locker."  It was full of leather, heavy men's suit coats and hats.  The kids played dress up all day.


Watch out Mackelmore... Leighton is stinkin awesome.


Boston's eyes lit UP when he saw this shirt.  He ripped it off the hanger and threw it over his head in awe.  As I was helping him pull it on, I noticed the price tag - $325!!!  Too bad, so sad.  It makes for an adorable picture though.  The ladies in the shop were glad to see us go.  We were a little too rowdy for their taste.


Speaking of rowdy, gotta love a nice pair of legs.


China Town was full of you guessed it - JUNK!  OK, Kennedy did find a cute owl purse but for the most part, junk made in China.


Every sign outside the store said, "No photography or videos."  You can see how well we take to the rules.


This was a cool building but I can't remember the significance.  I was along for the ride half the time.


This guy was quite the artist.  He spray painted and scraped images into the canvas.  When the creation was finished his buddies would clap getting everyone watching to clap and yell out, "Normally one million dollars but for you tonight, only $10.  For the pretty ladies $9.99" - all with a Spanish accent.  They were playing music to attract people and Gangnam Style came on.  Boston came up to me and asked me I had a hat.  He insisted he was going to dance to make money.  He's so industrious!  I didn't have a hat but when he started dancing, even the guys running the show stopped to look and clapped.  If all else fails, it's good to know he has a future on the streets.


We tried out a couple Italian places and found the perfect place in Tony's Napolitano.  It was a hike to get there.  We walked what felt like through the roughest parts of town (Leighton says he's scarred for life) but in the end it was worth it.  Homemade pasta, divine chicken Parmesan and thin crust pizza.


We wanted to try Chinese for lunch the next day so Kennedy did a Zagat search and this place came up.  It was off the beaten path.  Once inside, it was pretty dirty but packed with normal looking people.  Good enough for us.  The pork dumplings and pot stickers were a hit however the standard Chinese food we're used to, was kinda gross.  I have convinced you to go there, right?!


Can you guess how I took this picture?  I'm a magician, that's how.




When near a Chinese restaurant, there must a great place to get a pedicure.  Kennedy and I found one straight away and plopped our hineys down and enjoyed the serenity of our magazines and the ladies chatting in Vietnamese back and forth.  There's something so peaceful about that.  We have no clue what they're saying but we smile all the same.  They were actually sweet ladies.  Kennedy's lady fixed her ingrown toe nail and had her good as new.  Eric borrowed a People magazine from the place and sat with the boys in the van around the corner.  They didn't even complain.


Well, after all that hard work, it was time for CHOCOLATE.  Ghirardelli's Square hit the spot.  I indulged in the biggest sundae I think I've ever had.  It was divine.



#jacksonreallykickedback (his shoe on the table)


Lombard Street is the most crooked street around and we had to try it out.  I got out and walked down half way so I could get this picture.  I didn't do a very good job at getting the whole thing but it was pretty cool.  People have driveways all along the road.  I don't think I would like all that traffic right outside my door 24-7.


We finished off the day with a mile walk to AT&T Park to see the San Francisco Giants take on the Oakland A's.  This was our first family outing to a professional baseball park.  The stadium and ambiance were something to behold.


Boston and the twins were able to get an autograph from this guy.  No one knew who he was but he must be someone special to be playing professional baseball.  We asked around and found out that his name is Travis Blakely and he's a pitcher with what sounds like an Australian accent.



Jackson and Leighton's only experience with baseball was a season of t-ball when they were 5.  They ran for 3rd base when they hit the ball so that tells you why they only lasted a season.  However, they support Boston in his baseball and have learned to appreciate the game.  They were right in there trying to catch a ball and get autographs.



Boston also got a picture with the catcher, John Jaso.  He had nice hair and was very kind to sign autographs and take pictures.


Eric has never really liked baseball but Boston is changing that.  It's amazing how you can grow to like something when your child loves it.  Kennedy just tolerates it.  She brought 2 books to read during the game.  At least she doesn't complain.


It was a gorgeous night.  We had to leave the game a bit early to head to our next stop, Grass Valley, California, almost 3 hours away....  It was midnight when we arrived at the Best Western Grass Valley Gold Inn.


We met James Hannum and his older son Joey at Paulina's for a down home breakfast and hit the local convenience store for water, diet pepsi, toilet paper, chips, and licorice (basic necessities).  We were going where there was no running water or electricity - James' piece of heaven that has been in his family since 1870.


James Great Great Grandfather, Samuel Gunning, secured this piece of property in the late 1800's.  It has stayed in the family ever since.  Samuel lived on the property from 1935-1982 with no running water or electricity.  He built a home with the materials located on the land. 





Boston practicing his pitching with James.  Boston and James have the baseball bond like no other.


The land is situated on the Yuba River.  The kids all tried their hand at fishing and panning for gold.  They were in 7th heaven, that is everyone but Kennedy (and maybe me).







This is what is left of the house Samuel lived in.


When James was a kid, he came and stayed here in the summer.


Eric wanted to do some serious picking (and it wasn't his nose) through the abandoned house.  The kids and I threw a fit so he settled on this hunk of rust.  I wonder what wall he thinks it's going to hang on?


The river didn't feed us any fish but this fishing hole did.  All the boys caught a couple fish.  They even put the worm on the hook themselves.



This was where Kennedy was perched.  I sympathized...I remember being 14.  The last place I would've wanted to be was in the middle of no where with bugs flying all over me and no end in sight.



Does this look like paradise or what?  The majority of the property looked like this.  Although cattle do roam - every other step you had to avoid a cow patty.  Boston did a little slip and slide with one and had to change his pants and shoes.  It was pretty funny.


Where is this land located exactly?  Why Timbuktu of course!  Seriously.

It was really nice of James and Joey to drive 6 hours out of their way to spend the day taking care of us city folk and sharing their slice of heaven.


By this point, our cup runneth over.  It's Friday and we've been on the road a week.  We decide it's time to meander our way back home.  Per James' comp in Bakersfield at a Marriott Spring Hill Suites, we stay the night and arrive home Saturday afternoon.  Our van was absolutely disgusting.  Stinking shoes, clothes, bugs, dirt, sweat - you get the idea.  We couldn't get out of the van fast enough.

If you asked the boys if they had a good time they would say, Yes!  If you asked Kennedy, she would say for about 1 hour, maybe 2 hours if you include the meal she loved.  If you ask Eric and I, we would say, most definitely!  We were very spontaneous, booking our hotels day by day, going where the wind blew us (kinda) and giving our kids adventure and memories.  Next time, Kennedy says we're going to Hawaii.  That's going to take some serious garage selling, dancing and bartering.  Time to get to work...rather bed.  It's late (11:52 pm to be exact).  This post took me a couple hours.  Good thing its for a good cause:)

5 comments:

Rylee said...

I sat down to read your post instead of starting my workout like I needed to, half way through I realized I was going to be here a while so I stood up and did squats while finishing the post! Well worth my time though! I hope that in another life I can come back as one of your kids! You guys know how to have a good time!!

Laci said...

Living the good life aren't you!!? Well deserved!! So much different than those lazy days at the Rec Center! Haha! Although SF is not my favorite California destination, I'd like our kids to experience it someday. I'm proud to call you friend when I see that sundae.....my kind of girl!!! And p.s.....I almost started gagging just THINKING about the car and all it entailed. I never experienced that with the girls, but Beckham is welcoming us into that world! Yuck!

vvjenks said...

Memories - and more memories - Where did you get that adventurous spirit? You will never regret taking time to vacation with your kids - Only a few more years and Kennedy may be at Stanford?? or some other great college. I enjoyed the whole post!!!

kim huish said...

I remember when I was Kennedy's age, I wanted to go to Stanford. I then quickly realized I was no where smart enough to get in (although I'm sure Kennedy is!) Looks like another incredible family vacation. You guys do so much fun stuff and I reminisced seeing your pictures as my family has taken similar trips. Family vacations are the best!

Laci said...

P.s. your new family picture is my favorite ever!!!!