Friday, January 25, 2013

V.I.P.


Boston was selected to be the Very Important Person in his class last week.  You don't realize what a big deal this is to your kids until they are the one picked.  Everyone likes to feel extra special every once in a while.  He got to bring in this poster board representing what he likes to do and what he's all about.  There was a big focus on sports, friends, being goofy, his hair when it was short and his family.  He placed the pictures where he thought they belonged and our family picture was front and center.  I was pleasantly surprised at that gesture.  Below is the letter that his teacher read to the class:

Boston almost wasn't Boston.  His dad wanted to name him Diego but his mom won out with Boston Johansen Bateman.  A few years ago a friend asked Boston what his name was and he said, "Boston Massachusetts Bateman."  He really thought that was his middle name.

The first word Boston said was "Ball."  Imagine that?  First it was a liking for the soccer ball, then the football, then basketball and eventually the baseball.  Baseball has developed into his favorite sport but he loves to play all sports and be active.  You can find him riding his bike, shooting baskets, playing catch, socializing with friends young and old, jumping on his pogo stick or playing the drums when he has nothing else to do.  Rarely does he sit and watch tv or play video games.  He's like the energizer bunny.  He loves to entertain with his dance moves which lately include Gangnam style.  I am sure he would be happy to show you all!  He would be content to live off orange chicken if I let him.  He also likes to each pizza, chicken nuggets, chips and french fries but not much else unless it has sugar in it.

Boston shows his sweet side through little notes he writes to his family members and close friends.  The other day he cleaned his 14 year old sister's room and left a note telling her how much he loved her, all without telling anyone.  I have come home from a date with his dad to find my bed made and a sweet note from Boston waiting for me on my pillow.  He likes to act cool but deep down inside has a real soft side.

I am so lucky to be his mom and glad he was chosen to be the VIP.  When he came running to the car the day he found out, he had the biggest smile on his face.  He couldn't wait to tell me the good news.  I will always remember that toothless smile :)  Congratulations Boston.  I love you!  Love, Mom

He was able to bring in something special for show and tell and he brought in his biggest trophy which he won with his most recent flag football team.  He said Ruby helped him dust it off and everyone wanted to touch it.  Funny the attention a trophy can bring.  I contemplate throwing all the trophies out once a week because of the dust and amount of space they take up.  I guess they are good for something.

Boston has had a great 1st grade year and is flourishing in math and finally reading but seems to enjoy his social life more than anything.  Life father like son...

No comments: