Monday, January 14, 2013

The Perfect Grandma


That is not an understatement.  She didn't have a mean bone in her body or a negative thing to say.  Grandma Jenks (Glenna Virtue Orton Jenks) passed away January 1st.  She was 88.  Her birthday would have been February 17.  My sister Shannon spoke at her funeral (the oldest living grandchild) and commented at how she thought she was always grandma's favorite but eventually learned that we all felt that way.  She had the ability to make you feel like you were her favorite.  I was born on her birthday almost 40 years ago and will forever share that bond.  When no one else would watch me when I was little, she was there (supposedly I was difficult - imagine that :).  She had the patience of Job.  She drove a school bus, decorated cakes, grew a garden, canned fruit and vegetables, worked alongside with my grandpa and 8 children on their dairy farm, but the one thing she loved the most was to have her family together.  We gathered for birthdays, Christmas, Easter, 4th of July, Memorial Day, baptisms, baby blessings, weddings, family reunions and any other excuse to get together.  She never forgot a birthday.  We received a card with a certain amount of money, depending on our age, and a personalized message.  She continued with this until a couple years ago when she couldn't remember if she sent you a card.  Dementia runs in the family.  I was glad she couldn't remember much in the end because she always feared she hadn't done enough in life and was worried about death.  This way she didn't have that fear.


My grandfather died last March and I am sure he was anxious to have her with him.  I was sad when I learned of her death, but rejoiced at the thought of the reunion she would have with her parents, siblings, son, granddaughter and husband that were waiting for her.  She lived a life full of hard work, perseverance, and love.  When I think of charity, I think of my Grandma Jenks.  She will always have a special place in my heart and be a constant reminder of how I should be living my life.


7 comments:

Colette said...

Sorry for your loss, Allyson. What a nice tribute. I bet your right. I think the reunion must have been amazing. :)

Rylee said...

Tearing up reading this. I had the perfect grandma too. Sorry for your loss, it's never easy. What a life though! A true example. Miss you.

Laci said...

Wow...what a great lady! So sorry for your loss....but sounds like her granddaughter doesn't fall far from the tree!!! Miss ya!

Our Little Hatch Family !!! said...

Oh this is making me so sad and yet such a sweet reminder of how amazing grandparents truly are...to know and be loved by such incredible individuals, what a wonderful reunion in Heaven...so sorry for your loss...what a beautiful example to follow, you and your family are just as beautiful as I remember them! Miss our chats Gorgeous!

Unknown said...

Sweet post Allyson! It was so fun to hear more about your grandma. As you describe her, I can definitely see you in her...you are wonderful too and you come from an amazing family :)

Kerstin said...

What a sweet lady! I'm not really loving the process of getting older, but I hope that someday I can be an amazing grandma. She leaves inspiration to you, me, and many others.

vvjenks said...

Brought tears to my eyes as I read your post - you are like her in many ways - We all were blessed by her and her gentle approach to life. Remember - nothing is more important than family. Love you