Monday, August 27, 2012

Back to life, back to reality.

(to be sung to that tune we all know)

School started today and as usual, we were ALL excited!  I am so glad my kids enjoy school.  To celebrate, (I was inspired by Stephanie Nielson author of Nie Nie Dialogues (blog), and Heaven is Here memoir), we had our first annual "Back to School Dinner."  I surprised the kids when they got home from church with a few decorations and plans for an appetizer style menu.  They were shocked!  My practicality usually gets the best of me in life and I skip all the cutesy stuff.  The surprise on their faces assured me it was all worth it. We also invited the Corvino's over to help celebrate.



This was the food table.  I forgot to take a picture with it filled up.  We dined on chicken wings and drumsticks, barbecue meat balls, little smokies, strawberries, veggies and dip, crackers, salad, garlic rolls, mozzarella sticks, and topped it all off with homemade ice cream cookie sandwiches.  I was hoping to make a ceiling out of the balloons with the kids pictures attached and hanging but it didn't work. Some Pinterest ideas are too good to be true.


Kennedy was happy as could be what with her beloved mozzarella sticks and the whole party idea.  She's excited to enter 8th grade.


The kids decorated their own hats.  They wore them with pride (for the picture).








Jackson provided the entertainment.  He's sexy and he knows it.


Could Olive be any cuter?  She's starting full day kindergarten.


Big, bad Angelo taking a bite out of 1st grade.


Mr. 1st grade, Boston always takes it up a notch.


Leighton and Jackson sure loved Sadie's chicken wings and drumsticks.  They are going to be the big men on campus this year - 5th grade!







The summer break has been nice for many reasons:  sleeping in (like some days until noon), not having to make lunches, no homework, lounging by the pool, vacations, no set schedule.

But there are many reasons that school is nice:  routine, structure, space, gaining knowledge, friends, etc.  So the reality that school is back in session, is a very good thing for all involved.

Normally I would be at Target right now, wandering aimlessly, but I am jumping on an airplane to fly to Los Angeles to meet Eric.  He has been in Australia for 3 long weeks.  We will drive back tomorrow but for one short day, we'll enjoy our peace and quiet.  Now that Kennedy is 13 1/2, she can hold down the fort, right?  Too bad she can't drive.  Lucky to have great friends to step in.  Thanks Nikki and Sadie!

5 comments:

Rylee said...

so fun! i think when my kids get a little older to appreciate it we'll do a back to school dinner, such a fun idea. while looking through all the pictures i noticed just how great all of your kids hair is! seriously all 4 have awesome hair! miss you tons!!!

Laci said...

So fun to know you're inspired by NieNie too.....definitely your season to live it out...while I just dream about it :) And there's a reason I don't have a pinterest account...I'd feel horrible about myself ;) You threw a great party. Your kids are lucky to have you! They all look so grown up compared to the Vegas days I was there. Crazy how time changes all right?! Cute kids and I'm glad your happy dance has begun :)

Colette said...

Way to go Party Mama! Love it!! Will you fly out here after you get back from LA and throw my kids a back to school dinner party? :)

vvjenks said...

You never cease to amaze me!!

The Mollotte Family said...

I can't get over the idea of feasibly sleeping in until noon! So, let's see... your youngest is almost 7 so I have like 10 short years to get to that stage? :)

I loged the party ideas and can't wait to hear about all of your traveling!