That is the question.
We tend to take the "Road Less Traveled" when vacationing so keep that in mind as you read this. We held a family council a couple months ago and we all put ideas in a hat for what we thought would be a fun summer vacation. The winner was Jackson with renting an RV and camping at the beach. This adventure is not for the faint of heart or budget friendly. "We're all in this together" was the theme I kept repeating in my head as I questioned our sanity. This post has over 90 pictures so get comfortable.
We picked the RV up from Sahara RV around 4:30 Thursday afternoon and were loaded and on the road by 5:30. We were all excited for the adventure to begin. It was a hot ride for the first few hours as you can't run the a/c in the back and front. Leaving the desert at 108 degrees I couldn't wait to feel the cool ocean air of Santa Barbara.
Because we waited until the last minute to rent, we were forced to get a bigger size than originally planned. This was a 33 footer but all they had available. It was actually pretty nice. We had unlimited generator use which was necessary because we were dry camping. Dry camping is when you don't hook up to water, power or sewer. We carried it on board at all times. We were limited to 700 miles and only went over a few.
This was the master bedroom which had the only working TV. It was about 19" and didn't get reception. The kids watched movies on it but we survived almost an entire week without TV. Funny thing is I didn't even miss it.
All the kids took turns sitting in the front which had the best view. None of our family gets motion sickness but if you do, the front seat would be the only place you'd want to ride.
We arrived in Santa Barbara about 11:30 pm and hunkered down the in the KFC parking lot. We know the owners so we had permission to be there. We were rudely awakened about 3 am to a knock on the door. The guy with food service needed us to move up a few inches so he could make his delivery. A side effect of parking in the KFC lot. There would be lots of side effects. Like listening to drug deals going on the Jack in the Box parking lot, listening to people argue using lots of bad words, talking obnoxiously on their cells phones, etc. The only good side effect was that it was free. You see, to rent an RV can be expensive, add fees to park it in RV parks and things can up real fast.
We had to leave the parking lot by 9 am so customers could park there so Eric was up at 5:30 am, driving us all to the beach to get a parking spot. There is nothing like sleeping in an RV while it's moving, especially in the back. Once Eric found a great "free" parking spot, he climbed back in bed and we all slept until 9 am. We dressed and headed for the beach. At days end, we attempted to start the motor home up and found a dead battery. Someone had left the lights on. We won't mention any names. No worries. Eric's mom signed us up for AAA days before we left on our voyage. We played UNO and hung out until the fix it guy came. We were up and running in no time, headed to...dinner probably.
With lots of unneeded stuff. When going to the beach, keep it simple.
Kennedy has been wanting to get a tan all summer and dove right in. Not sure what is wrong with the Vegas sun but she prefers the California one.
Eric rented a kayak and we all took turns maneuvering it. Kennedy and I took it out but apparently no one took our picture.
We even let the twins give it a whirl by themselves. They were singing "Home, Home on the Range," as they were rowing along. They are always a sight to see and listen to.
We broke the record for least amount of time between "dumping." We had to go everyday because well...the water was out and the shitter was full. Sorry. There is no better way to say it. Eric made me put my foot on top of the sewer hose to make sure it didn't go anywhere. He asked Kennedy to do it one time and it resulted in her puking and crying and dry heaving and crying. I think secretly Eric felt the same way.
The 2nd night upon arrival to the KFC around 10 pm, the franchise owner was there and gave us the full meal deal - a bucket of chicken, fresh potato wedges, mac n cheese, potatoes and gravy, cole slaw and biscuits and gravy. Eric had intended to grill us up some dogs but this won over. It never tasted so good.
Once again, bright and early, Eric drove us to our beach side location. This time we parked up by the city college on the La Mesa overlooking the ocean. It was picturesque. Joggers were running by laughing at us. I guess they don't see people eating breakfast like this every day.
The only cooking I had to do was toast up some bagels. We brought along our toaster and rice cooker and practically everything else from our kitchen. We didn't need most of it. Just fyi.
We drove to Solvang after breakfast. It's a little Danish village filled with Danish pastries and overpriced trinkets. Eric's family owned restaurants and bakeries there years ago. The kids enjoyed seeing the places and hearing stories about their grandparents and uncle.
We found a nice little park outside Solvang to make lunch and play a little catch. Eric grilled up hot dogs, made cheesy potatoes on the camp stove and made fresh peach cobbler in the dutch oven. He acted like he was on the food network while showing the kids how to do things using big words like julienne and saute. Such a character.
Kennedy pealing the peaches.
He's already showing signs of too much family time.
Dutch oven peach cobbler.
Boston lost his first tooth while eating red vines. He put his tooth under his pillow in a baggy labeled "tooth fairy" and wouldn't you know it, she remembered!
Eric pulled off the freeway randomly and said, "Everybody out. We're going for a hike!" What? None of us were thrilled. The twins had to go down the hill on their bums because their flip flops didn't have any traction.
This was what were were hiking too?
No, this is really what we hiked to. If you want to call it a hike.
Pascucci's Italian was a favorite meal. Eric ordered the "Belagio" and gave it an 8.5. He rarely gives anything above an 8.
Eric got out his pen and started writing on the napkin, teaching Kennedy all about investing. When he starts writing upside down, you know you're in trouble.
Sunday morning we broke out the bikes. We brought the kid's from home then Eric and I rented beach cruisers. We rode bikes all day. We went to brunch, the zoo, shopping, dinner, a movie and then back to our RV at 11 pm. All on bikes.
A familiar sight. Nothing special.
We ate brunch at Anderson's Danish Bakery. The butter roll (front and center) is of the devil. Bearda, the owner, is long time friends with Eric's family and she treated us like her own.
Eric offered to pay Kennedy $10 if she would play while we dined. She earned that money fair and square.
Eric lead the pack and I brought up the rear. I couldn't help but think of a mother duck with all her ducklings following behind. However, I prefer to be following them so I can keep an eye on them. Our system worked out pretty good. We only had one instance when Jackson took a man out from behind. I saw it all go down and had to deal with the apologies as Jackson rode on, following his papa duck.
It was pretty cool to have all our kids on their own bikes, steady and able. I had one of those ah ha moments.
Santa Barbara is set up perfectly for biking. The zoo is right off the bike trail. We were able to see the whole zoo in about an hour. That's about how long our attention spans last.
Kennedy has exceptionally long arms.
The meercats were my favorite to watch.
Kennedy insisted I put this lovely picture on here. I am not prideful. It gives me a great idea to post all our "out takes."
The ant eater has got to be the ugliest and scruffiest looking animal. It deserved to be showcased all on it's own.
Boston and his skinny jeans. There's a story. He forgot to bring a belt so we spent the day before this picture looking for a blue belt. It couldn't be just any belt. It had to be blue. After 5 stores, we found this one at Tilly's and it was only $3 which Boston paid for himself. He gets dressed and hops on and off his bike but finds that he has to pee every time we turn around. We get through half the day and he has decided that the skinny jeans and belt are making him have to pee. He insists we need to buy him some shorts. Jackson pipes in with, "He does look sexy in them," and that calms Boston down for the rest of the day.
We rode to Monetcito and stopped at this gas station for a cold beverage and a piece of Bazooka bubble gum. I haven't chewed that kind of gum since I was a kid. Eric says it's a tradition. Okay.
We rode down to the beach in front of the Biltmore Four Seasons Hotel and checked out the waves and people passing by. This was the same path Eric and I took when we came here a couple months ago.
The result of riding bikes all day when you're not used to it. These three were wiped out and developing serious chaffing.
To top it all off, Eric was watching ebay on this motorcycle all day long. We were trying to make the final bid but didn't get it. Eric was so bummed. I figured it wasn't meant to be.
While the California sun looks good on Kennedy, she says she would rather live in Utah. Eric's heart is broke.
We ended the evening by going to the Arlington theater to see Brave.
Brad and Pam are so much fun! They drove down to stay with us in the RV and enjoy a couple days together. I wonder if they really knew what "together" would equal.
Their sleeping quarters. This motorhome was like a transformer. Brad said he felt like a 10 year old when he was still sleeping and Eric drove off in it.
If Kennedy could play Scattegories all day she would. We played lots of games during the trip.
Our only request for Brad and Pam to stay with us, was to bring something to reinforce underneath the table which made into a bed. We told them something that measured about 12". They are genius! They brought 8, 12 packs of soda. It worked like a charm. Plus, who couldn't use 8 packs of soda?
Jackson and Leighton slept like little babies.
The laundry mat just happened to be next door to the KFC. Eric did the laundry the two times we went. He's quite the domestic king on vacation.
He even cooked our meals. This morning we were frying up sausage, potatoes, and eggs as joggers and walkers were passing by. We had also picked up donuts to up the calorie intake.
Boston loves Brad! Brad and Pam bought him his first real mitt.
Pam, bless her heart, brought along her juicer. She has been juicing for the past couple weeks and says she has so much more energy and feels great. She drinks it for two of her meals.
Little contradiction here - healthy juice vs. an apple fritter.
Brad was shoving the apple fritter in before Pam could see him. She just wants to take care of him and make sure he's around for a long time.
I can't think of a better place to eat breakfast.
Brad and Pam rode our rental bikes back to the bike shop for us. We'd all had enough the day before. Boston was the only one who jumped back on his.
The KFC where it all started.
We parked the RV along the beach by the Biltmore and enjoyed a day in the sun boogey boarding and relaxing.
The twins stayed in the water for hours. When they finally came out, I told Jackson he was quite the boogey boarder. His reply, "Ya, to be that good you have to have a sore nipple...I mean peck." (He was rubbing it as he was telling me that.
Jackson ate the chicken that was given to us a couple nights before. He couldn't get enough of it.
I even did a little boogey boarding with Kennedy at my side.
While gassing up, Pam and Brad helped themselves to the front seats and made themselves at home. They look like they belong.
Our final night we ate at The Palm's per Kennedy's request. We came here last summer. You cook your own meat and dine on a salad bar, baked potatoes, and bread. I stuck to the salad bar. When on vacation, I really don't like to cook. Eric, Pam and Brad cooked their meal.
Jackson and Boston goofy as ever.
The down side of an RV is unloading it, especially in the heat. When you're leaving on your vacation the heat doesn't bother you quite as much. Coming home, it's dreadful.
We were all exhausted. So exhausted that Eric and I took showers and went on a date, all by ourselves!
To answer the question, To RV or Not to RV? I say definitely give it a try! It's a lot of work, expensive, claustrophobic, and smelly (4 boys = major gas) but an experience like no other. You are forced to do things together like play games, eat, explore, cook, bike, boogey board, shop, talk, solve problems, and be patient. We had our moments of chaos and frustration (OK a lot of them) but that made for greater memories and stories to be told years from now when we talk about this trip. In the words of Leighton, "This trip has been epic!" That's all I need to hear to know it was worth it.
Go RVing!

9 comments:
I know I can count on you making me homesick at least once a year!! What a great trip!!! I had to show Brian because we've been looking at trailers for a while now and I think we're getting close. Nothing like family time on the road! It's our girls' dream vacation for sure. Those memories you made will surely last forever! Fun times! I love that you even made it to Carp and the Palms....Brian's favorite. Just 3 blocks towards the beach is where you'll find us at the end of July. Why can't we ever be there at the same time???! Miss ya!
You win coolest family award, and best post ever award. LOVED all the pictures. What a vacation! I'm still laughing at the "sexy" comment, and the "nipple/peck" comment. Oh and "dry camping" sounds kinda dirty...just sayin'. :)
What memories!! I hope you are keeping all of this blog to make a book - It could be a best seller - You and Eric are certainly helping create memories for your kids - Most families would be jealous, including me. In our old age, we are going to have to keep up with you guys and love it.
Mom
That was an EPIC trip!! You and Eric are such great sports and do so many fun things for your kids! I loved all of your stories and the pics were awesome. They'll be talking about this one for decades. :)
loved hearing about your epic RVing adventure!! what's better than santa barbara on bikes?? :)
All I can say is WOW! You are one brave mamma! haha. I've been on a few RV vacations and they are amazing and very memorable. Way to make some memories...loved all the pictures!
I am still deciding if this sounds like fun or pure misery. Never a dull moment though!! I'm sure it was an adventure!!
I love reading your blog, so funny, and I love your honesty and "tell it like it is" attitude. I've always wanted to vacation in an RV and even after reading about your trip I still do, looks like you had so much fun.
This was awesome! One of my most favorite trips was an RV trip to the San Juan Islands. I also loved seeing Santa Barbara and Solvang! I've jogged many times where you guys ate your breakfast! As always, I love your cute family.
Post a Comment