Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Grandpa Jenks


Elden Smith Jenks

93 years he lived on this earth.  He was a man of few words but when he did speak, his words had purpose.  He laughed with a reserved chuckle and turned red easily.  He loved to work and taught his family to work, although my dad didn't enjoy it as much as he did.  He was a soldier (served as a cook in the army during WWII), a dairy and irrigation farmer, a pioneer to the Columbia Basin of Washington state, a missionary (him and my grandma served in Salt Lake City), a father to 8 children, a grandpa to 45 grandchildren with 1 more due in April, 79 great grandchildren and 2 great, great grandchildren, and a husband of 69 years to my grandma, Glenna.

He was most comfortable in his overalls and how I will always remember him.

I am happy for the full life he lead and the knowledge that I have that families are forever.  Till we meet again...

3 comments:

Colette said...

What a sweet tribute... so sorry for your loss. Sounds like he lived a very full and accomplished life! How lucky to have him part of your family legacy. Hugs!!

Rylee said...

i'm fully crying just reading that. nothing like a grandpa! sorry for your loss, what a life though, 93 years!?!

Laci said...

Sounds like a sweet man. I'm sure you learned lots from him through the years.....thinking of you :)xoxo