Saturday, May 22, 2010

Tipping

It is a real source of anxiety for me. It seems everyone deserves a tip and I never know what is the appropriate amount. Here is a list of tipping opportunities that come to mind:

Carpet layers
Carpet cleaners
House cleaner
Piano deliverers
Movers
Valet
Bar (just ordered a water or Diet Pepsi)
Dinner
Haircut and color
Bell boy at the hotel
Personal shopper (just kidding)
Guy that comes to your house to hook up the cable

I don't want to be cheap, but I get tired of tipping! And what gives me the anxiety is not knowing what they EXPECT. Eric's opinion is that they have to earn the tip and he will reward them based on their service, or not. Is this common? I know in the restaurant industry it's 15 - 20%. Is that standard in all service industries?

Years ago I tipped the movers $35 (each) and they were mad. Obviously I was way off on what they expected. I need a little direction.

4 comments:

Laci said...

You are hilarious! Basically, I think it's more about what attitude I'm in. I don't know any hard fast rules, but I think I would prob side with Eric. Show me what you got, and I will consider handing out more money. Sometimes I think it gets ridiculous because generally the "worker" is getting paid no matter what. K, maybe I'm just a cheapskate now......I better stop rambling :)

vvjenks said...

I'm not so sure we need to tip for every little thing! How many tips have you received in your life????

I'm not trying to be personal! I'm just tired of everything costing more in the end because one is expected to give a tip.

It was a good subject to think about.

Christine said...

dinner
valet
hair/nails
other than that....if I like them I tip...if not...I think there is a set price for a service and I call it a day!

Christine said...

I meant tip for..dinner valet hair/nails....