Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Pinewood Derby & Bobcat

There aren't words to describe how excited the boys were about the Pinewood Derby. Eric helped them design, carve, and paint their cars then Uncle Dave helped put the weight in and the wheels on. I can see where you can go all out or just do the basics and still get the same result - a happy scouter!

Jackson's car won "Best Workmanship"

Leighton's car won "Most Unique."


Due to a building scheduling issue, the room was a bit small where the track was. The kids didn't complain (just the adults) and went with the flow. It was a lot less chaotic than I imagined.


Dinner was served and this is what Boston decided on. His face says it all. Boston brought an old car from home that Grandpa Bateman had helped the boys build just for fun, and raced it. It didn't even make it all the way down the track. It was given the "Most Unusual Car" award.


The boys woke up Tuesday morning (yesterday) around 6 am and the first thing they said was, "We are getting our Bobcat today!" It's the first badge a Wolf Scout gets. Eric was able to turn each of them upside down while I pinned the badge on. Jackson was laughing because Eric was tickling him.


Leighton was the first to go so he was upside down a little longer. I had no clue what I was doing. The twins on the other hand, have been reading their scout manual and are tuned in. The other day Leighton had come to the car and Jackson was like 10 minutes late. I decided to park and go see what was going on. As I started walking up the sidewalk, he came whistling along with his whole scout ensemble on. He had been in the bathroom (before school even got out I soon found out from his teacher) changing into his scout shirt and yellow scarf. It was all tucked in and perfectly positioned. He told me he had read in his scout book how to put the scarf on and that dad had been doing it wrong. Now scouts wasn't until 7 pm that night so I asked him why he was in such a hurry and he said, "I want to show dad I'm responsible." Ah...my heart skipped a beat.
We didn't win 1st or 2nd or even 3rd but they didn't seem to care. They were just thrilled to be a part of it all.

2 comments:

Rylee said...

look now i'm in your family history. except i wish i was wearing a different shirt! jk. i sure love those boys of yours.

vvjenks said...

We hope you know how special Jackson and Leighton are--they bring smiles to our faces and tears to our eyes every time we read about them!! We all should love life that much--and we do (most of the time).