
October 15th and 16th I ran a Ragnar Relay Race with a team of 12 people over 180 miles - from the Valley of Fire to Redrock Casino. I was waiting to post about this until the pictures surfaced and this weekend they magically appeared. The race started at 10 am on Friday and ended around noon on Saturday.

Every team has a theme and ours was "Mandelbaum." It's from a Seinfeld episode that you'd have to see to understand. If I was more savvy with blogging and the internet I would post the link here but I'm not. Sorry. The front of our shirts say, "World's Greatest Runner!" The back side says, "Step aside, I'm gonna take it up a notch! Team Mandelbaum - Ragnar Relay Las Vegas, 2009. Our team leader, Adrienne Daines, and her husband, Will, headed everything up and did an amazing job. It's a lot of work to be the leader. Adrienne's family made up a large portion of our team, along with our support. We had two vans with 6 people per van and they were stocked with water and goodies (and even soda for me).

The order we ran in went: Brad Beckstead, Pam Beckstead, Brittney Hall, Me, Darren Cox, and Will Daines. This picture is the first exchange for Brittney and I. This was just outside Overton. My first run was brutal because it was noon, in the desert, and pretty much up hill. It was only 3 miles but it kicked my butt! I know others had much harder runs but this was max capacity for me.

Nothing like running in the desert with sagebrush, hot pavement, and hills. My favorite run was at 11 pm when it was dark and with a down hill portion. The next morning around 6 am I ran 5 miles. It was fun to see the sunrise and know I was on my last leg. I ran around 11 miles and felt great when it was all done. I only suffered one casualty - while in the out house changing into my tank top, my sports bra dropped in the depths below, never to be retrieved. When I came out to break the news to my team, the men were not sure what to think. They were like, "what are you going to do?" Good thing it doesn't take much to keep things in place. Just kidding, my tank top had a built in.

The van says it all! You Lag, you drag! Well, I did some lagging but for the most part, got better times than anticipated. It was an experience I'll never forget but don't want to repeat any time soon. Although, I did tell the Becksteads I would do the Wasatch Back in June I am already questioning my sanity.
2 comments:
Was beginning to wonder if it was THAT bad!! Sounds like good times. I'm with ya....running without a bra would probably be easier for me. HA!
Impressive! Allison asked if I wanted to do one down here in AZ with her & I told her she was crazy! :) I love that your van had soda for you. Hilarious & so you!
Post a Comment