Monday, October 6, 2008

Adventures


No school last Friday meant we could take advantage of Eric's crazy Thursday/Friday days off so we left Wednesday evening to go to Utah for some fun. We were very adventurous and crammed quite a bit it. We wanted the kids to see what fall really looks like.

Thursday we took in Sundance and hiked to Stewart Falls. The 1.1 mile hike played out to be difficult as Jackson cried or complained the whole way up, Eric through a rock at a beehive right next to the trail (a swear word was justified coming from me), Kennedy had stomach trouble, and Boston wanted me to carry him half the time. The feel of the cold falls on their faces made it all worth it once we reached the top. I must say I was feeling a little winded and hot but of course I was in flip flops because I didn't get the memo we were going hiking.


We then ventured to Heber for a little lunch after finding out Sundance was an hour and half wait. Eric was so disappointed. Sundance was one of his favorite places to eat when we lived in Utah.


Mid day, we went to Temple Square taking in all the sights there. We walked around until the "Joseph Smith" movie started - what a emotional movie. It was difficult to watch and the kids were scared half the time but a stark reminder of what the early saints went through so we could enjoy life as we know it. We ended the evening at the top of the Joseph Smith Memorial building with dinner at The Garden. The kids wanted to eat at The Roof but we were very under dressed. To say the least, I was exhausted from a very full day.


Friday we made plans to go to the BYU vs. USU game in Logan. We drove up early and went to a great little corn maze and farm just outside Logan. It is a 1920's working farm just perfect for us city folk. The kids had fun seeing the animals, sitting inside an authentic Indian tee pee, and an old car. The corn maze started out fun then Jackson started crying, "we're never gonna get out." After 30 minutes inside, we found a straight row and just followed it out. We cheated. Oh well, Jackson was going to have a nervous breakdown if not.


The game was the kids first experience at a BYU game and it was very crowded. Sometimes your expectations are grander than they really turn out to be. Such was the case. Boston kept kicking the person in front of us and the twins kept asking when we were going to get more to eat. We lasted until after half time and called it good. We'll chalk it up to a life experience.


Eric had to fly home Saturday for work but I stayed and went to Chuck E. Cheese with my sister, Shannon and her four kids. My camera died at that point and so did my back up.


Thank goodness for the the Bell family! They always welcome us in their home and put up with our chaos. Aside from a few family members, they are the only family that can handle us. Saturday evening, I went to dinner with Nate and Michele (Bell) to celebrate Michele's b-day. I was the third wheel but they didn't seem to mind.


Sunday just before heading home, we stopped at Shannon's house and Mike & Melinda Wallis' house. So fun to see their finished basements and projects. It made me want to go home and get started on some unfinished projects. Time to check in with reality.


Disclaimer: As I was typing this and posting pictures, I realized this was a little wordy and had a lot of pictures. However, this blog, in the end, is for my posterity and to take care of my guilty conscience as a mom, so sorry if you were bored reading it.













5 comments:

Laci said...

What a fun trip!!! You always have the best "trip" stories! Even living in the state now, we LOVE heading up north to catch the BYU fever. Nothing beats it! Good to chat with you today too :) PS....loving your hair! You look great!

Sarah Goodsell said...

Looks like fun! I wish I could see the girls. Bronson looks SO big I need to go visit the Bells really bad. Glad you had fun!

vvjenks said...

Heh Bateman family

What a fun weekend for all of you. I think I would not like being in the middle of a corn maze either! I would like the game though. I like how Jackson & Leighton always have their arms around each other.

Eric looks happy among the group!
Love to each one of you.

Mom Jenks

Angela said...

I need to learn from families like yours and get more adveturous. What a fun trip. I love that picture where you can see the temple in the window.

ME said...

Wait a second? How old is Bronson? I guess it's been awhile since I've seen the Bell's - he's old now. WOW! What a fun trip. I saw Melinda's house a couple of months ago - her basement is awesome. I've heard the Bell's puts their AZ home to shame. What do you say?