DECEMBER: The month of big plans and parties and celebrations and no time to do it all!
This advent calendar was plowed through by December 3rd. No one in this household has any patience. And of course when asked who ate all the chocolates, no one fessed up. All I know is that it wasn't me.
I always fill this advent calendar with 4 little candies for each day. Not much left by mid December. Why do I bother? Tradition.
Speaking of tradition, Christmas cards and an accompaning letter get harder and harder each year. This year, cards went out a couple days before Christmas and I some hadn't received one as of the new year. I suppose a vacation mid December didn't help with timing... at any rate, cards went out!
Greetings!
It’s mid December and I’m yet to print our actual Christmas cards. I am a bit of a hot mess and told Eric it’s now his turn to hold on tight for the ride. His request: keep it a “warm mess.”
Traditions are far and few between these days but the one thing you can count on is a Christmas card with some memorable thoughts/quotes from the Bateman’s.
Boston (11) continues to be the baby of the family with big dreams. “If I don’t make it into the MLB then it’s the NBA. If that doesn’t work it’s the NFL & if that doesn’t work then I guess tennis.” It’s good to have options.
When asked how he asks a girl to dance, Jackson (14) says no words are needed. He just reaches out for their hand and leads them to the dance floor. He continues to be smooth.
Leighton (14) continues to be the oldest brother by 2 minutes. Big changes for him this year, “I’m losing my double chin mom. I’m sad. I’m gonna miss it.” (The Christmas card picture would say otherwise.)
I (Allyson) have a confession: I pay the twins to pop their zits and love to watch drpimplepopper.com in my spare time. Kennedy (almost 18) is appalled at my behavior and continues to be the adult in our household. She keeps us all on the straight and narrow. Although, I did catch her watching a Hallmark movie on her phone, at 11:30 pm, on a school night! She just might be going off the deep end:)
Eric + Emergency gallbladder surgery + morphine = a very entertaining boy. He tried to barter Dr. Sidiki for the door and insisted all visitors take home some rubber gloves as a parting gift. He was given a blessing of healing and shouted out “Hallelujah” and “Thank you Jesus” during it. Every nurse was “beautiful” and so were their mothers. He continues to keep us entertained.
Our life is full of sports, cookies, homework, church, laundry, cooking, cleaning, Costco runs, debate, travel, food - lots of food, and work but we wouldn’t have it any other way. We continue to be blessed beyond measure and take each day as it comes with our “best behavior.” We send a big Bateman hug from Texas and wish you a Merry Christmas and wonderful 2017 filled with the Savior’s love!
With love,
Eric, Allyson, Kennedy, Leighton, Jackson, and Boston
ericandallyb.blogspot.com
Friendswood High School Mustangs were in the playoffs for football so we drove close to the NRG center (where the Houston Texans play) and took a little train to avoid crazy parking and traffic. Kimberly and Kayla brought the school spirit. Our quarterback went down in the 2nd play of the game with a broken leg and he really carried the team all season. We ended up losing but it was fun while it lasted. Crazy to think I could be watching the twins in that same stadium very soon.
Eric and the boys whipped together a song and dance to go home teaching and I filmed it on a whim and posted to Facebook and it was a hit! These boys know how to entertain. They sang Feliz Navidad with their own twist.
9 months ago, a trip to Costa Rica with family in December sounded like a great idea. November rolled around and I was questioning my decision making. Turned out to be a fabulous time to go on a vacation! In fact, I'm ready to go back.
Once all situated on the airplane, I cracked my book open and found these very thoughtful notes from Kennedy. She knew just what I needed. I was feeling a little guilty leaving the kids with our friends (The Davis') and mostly leaving Kennedy to handle all the loose ends (which always proves to be more than I planned). She blesses us beyond measure.
Everyone besides Shannon and Dave arrived throughout the day on December 7. Shannon and Dave arrived the next day. There was a slight hiccup with the rental van but after a couple hours, we were all happily driving to our home away from home for a week. My parents rented a big house in Tamarindo and invited all my siblings. Only 3 of us could make it so they also invited Kelly and Julia (my dad's sister and husband) and we had a nice full house. We enjoyed a wonderful meal at an outdoor restaurant on the ocean. My phone camera doesn't take night pictures well but you get the gist. Food was my favorite the whole time we were there.
I went to use the bathroom and noticed a massive bug on the hand towel. I calmly called for Eric to come to take care of the frog or spider. I couldn't believe all the men that came running. Usually, it's every man for themselves when it comes to killing spiders. That thing was huge and quick! It took a while to trap it but eventually, it met its mize. Turns out they're quite common and found a few more around the house.
It rained almost every afternoon so the mornings were the best time to enjoy the pool or beach. Unfortunately, none of us are morning people (except Kelly) so we soaked up what we could. Most of these pictures are out of order and I'm too lazy to fix them. I will let most of them do the talking.
These rickety stadiums were going up all over little towns. They're for bullfights. The whole town rallies around building them. We missed the bullfight by one day. I am sure it would've been
memorable.
We hit up outdoor markets whenever possible. The mangoes were my favorite. Eric spoiled us with wonderful meals and refreshing pina coladas. He also whipped up the best guacamole and homemade tortilla chips.
These fruit bats made the front entry of the house we were staying in their home during the day. The homeowner said they were harmless and ate all the mosquitos so they were welcome to stay. Eye-opening when I first saw them but after a while, didn't even notice them.
Lots of iguana spottings
Lots of beautiful sunsets with beautiful people.
My dad and brother are cattle farmers so they took an appreciation to the variety of cows we came across.
We were tempted to buy this farm until we found out they actually make pottery.
Enjoying one of our amazing meals made by chef Eric, poolside at the house.
Cheers to virgin pina coladas!
Wrestling in the pool by 2 overgrown men
Our random parking pass
Eric's v-neck... Heaven help me.
Christine and her coconut water on the beach
Dave showing us how it's done
We spent countless hours in this 12 passenger van. Might be where some of my favorite memories were made.
Cheers!
And more cheers!
And even more cheers!
A random bald head because it makes me smile:)
All in the family!
Shannon fit just right in this hammock. Eric attempted to lay on it and I quickly deterred him. Would've been lights out for the poor hammock.
We went to church about 45 minutes away. It was a very nice building with air conditioning thank goodness. The bishop recently moved to the area from Alpine, UT.
A basketball hoop and soccer goal all in one right outside the church doors. What more could you ask for?
Gotta love the flips and casual wear.
These were the bishop's sons recently home from missions and headed to Utah for school.
After church our bellies were rumbling so we stopped at this bakery to get our fill of pastries.
There was a drunk guy laying in the street in his underwear that really took the experience to the next level:)
A random picture on the golf cart
My mom and I trying to stay warm in the van
Eric grubbing on a German sausage
We went on a chartered boat excursion one of the days where we snorkeled, ate dinner and snacks, and watched the sunset. A bonus was all the Latin ladies that danced and entertained us with their barely-there bikini bottoms. My mom said she had never seen so many butt cheeks in her life. Some were nice some were... interesting:) All part of making memories.
This girl and that pole... Shannon made the comment that she wished it was okay to stare because there was so much to stare at. Pure entertainment.
We spent one day driving and exploring around Tabacone and the Volcano Arenal but I don't have any pictures. It was probably the most beautiful place we went with thermal hot springs and pools and waterfalls to soak in. Everything was wet so I put my phone away. Kelly had his GoPro out so I will have to see if I can score some of his pictures.
What a fun memorable week we spent in Costa Rica with family! Back at the airport, Eric found a chair that couldn't lulled him to sleep. We were sad the vacation had to come to end. 300 dozen cookies were awaiting me at home.
My favorite time of the year - when I go to the mailbox and get beautiful cards instead of bills!
Boston's Godfather, James Hannam, sent this package to him and we had to document the postage. Boston was smiling from ear to ear.
We went to Carraba's for our annual Italian Christmas Eve dinner. Leighton ordered minestrone soup for his side and commented on how "the nuts sure were soft" in his soup. Last I checked minestrone doesn't have any nuts. They were garbanzo beans. He needs to get out more.
He ordered the most expensive and largest thing on the menu - a massive meatball stuffed with mozzarella. He dug in and didn't' look back.
We all put our vacation ideas for the year in a hat (as years before) and no one liked the trip that was picked. I can't even remember what it was. This year we may just have to wing it.
One of the many trays of cookies I made. It was a December for the books so much so that I/we decided the cookie business had run it's the course. After the new year, I would be done making cookies. Bittersweet for sure. More about that later.
Each one of our kids asked for one big-ticket item. Leighton wanted a drum set, Jackson wanted a DJ Mixing machine, Boston a Bryce Haper Swing Away and Kennedy a nice camera. Santa somehow delivered. The Drums were secured off Craig's List. We stored them at a friend's house until Christmas Eve when I rode with them in the back of Eric's truck home. It was a beautiful night full of humidity.
Christmas morning came around 9 am. Our kids like sleep and not much changes.
We draw names for family members so each of these pics are with the person you gave to or get from.
Leighton thought these guitar strings were something else at first. I'll let you use your imagination.
Mark and Ashley had our name this year and they came through big time for the boys with bb guns.
Eric smoked up a feast of meat for our Christmas meal.
December 26 we surprised the kids with a trip to Universal Studios Florida to go to Harry Potter World. This was mostly an 18th birthday gift for Kennedy. This was her one request. We drove the 14 hours there and stayed at an awesome timeshare that Eric was able to get through his old boss. We brought 3 day passes to the 2 Universal Parks. This exercise equipment was on the property. These pictures are mostly for effect.
Hitting the park with the first day with big ambitions.
Ride one and the only ride we all comfortable fit on. It was a kiddie ride too.
This was Eric trying to squeeze into the seat to see if he could fit on the ride. There were 2 rides he could fit on in the whole park (well maybe more but it seemed like that). He spent his 43rd Birthday at a theme park waiting in lines all because he loves his kids. It would've been the last place he'd want to be on his birthday. Probably his favorite part was the Butter Beer. We packed our own lunch so we didn't really sample the food that day. Eric spent most of the day trying to figure out how he could get out of coming back to the parks (secretly).
Here's our birthday boy during the Christmas photoshoot. Always making us laugh.
My recommendation would be to avoid theme parks anytime during the holidays. The place was CROWDED! Like 3 hour wait for this Harry Potter ride crowded.
Day 2 - Eric and I stayed at the hotel and either slept or relaxed by the pool and went to dinner and a movie. We dropped the kids off at 8:30 am and picked them up at 11 pm and guess what? They were perfectly fine and probably had more fun without us. They went to dinner at the Leaky Cauldron, had more Butter Beer and rode all the rides they wanted to without complaint. Kennedy did say the boys were a lot of work to manage but in the end, they had fun.
Day 3 - Eric dropped the kids and me off at Universal and he spent the day at the hotel catching up on all his favorite tv programs. The kids and I did our best to soak it all up and the boys even soaked up the water rides late at night when it was freezing cold. They didn't care. I guess when you're young you don't think about how cold and miserable you're going to be or the rashes that will ensue.
All in all, we had a great time and rang in the new year at a hotel in New Orleans (5 hours from home). We were driving into town just as fireworks were going off. December was a bit of a blur at that point and I was just grateful to have all our family under one roof. Big ideas, big opinions, big personalities equal lots of work and patience but memories that make it all worth it. Cheers to 2017!!!












































































1 comment:
Awesome post. I check most days to see if you have posted anything new. Especially this winter as I have spent many days and nights housebound due to snow and ice. Enjoy Texas while you can. Love you all.
Post a Comment