A man who was filled with curious passion, who embodied service and love, and had more patience than Job.
Thomas Hess Bateman left this mortal existence Thursday, October 23, 2014. He was 82 years young. He received his PhD in Wholistic Health at the ripe ole age of 80. He held two masters degrees as well. He was always learning and broadening his horizon. His heart was as pure as they come - not a mean bone in his body.
At 21 years old, he lost his leg in a farming accident. He had just been accepted into West Point Military Academy and was so excited to share the news with his family, he went running out to the tractor and slipped on a power shaft and it sucked his leg in. He spent 3 years recovering with infection and set backs. He had a prosthetic leg and I never heard him complain once. I am excited that his body is made whole again and for the knowledge that families are forever. That gives me peace and hope.
The bishop of his current ward (Bishop Corey Jones) said this of him at the Sunday meeting after his passing:
Brother Bateman was the prime example of Enduring to the End. Three months ago I extended a call to Brother and Sister Bateman to be leaders on the Young Single Adult Committee. It might have been unfamiliar territory to Brother Bateman, but he responded much like Nephi did when he was asked by The Lord to build a boat. Nephi asked The Lord where to find ore to make tools to build the boat. Brother Bateman, instead of murmuring excuses, which would have seemed perfectly legitimate, like "I am in a wheelchair" or "I have lung cancer," chose to respond with faith. He asked, "Can I have a list of the names and phone numbers of all the single adults?"
A week before he passed I visited Brother Bateman in the hospice center. I brought several young men from the ward with me so that we could have a short testimony meeting together. Brother Bateman asked the young men a question that I don't think they fully understood. He asked them "Do I seem concerned [about what happens next]?"
I am in no position to pass judgment on Brother Bateman, as imperfect as I am, but I do know that if his life of Christlike Service does not qualify him for the blessings of eternal life, there is very little hope for me.
He embodied this scripture: "Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life."
2 Nephi 31:20
He was also an authentic romantic...
He loved helping the kids build things. His patience really shown through when working with them.
He was loved by scout leaders and scouts alike. He volunteered whenever and wherever he could. He orchestrated this evening by helping all the scouts make light sabers. He was a decorated scouter achieving the highest ranks.
Eric and his dad had a special relationship full of respect for one another.
Always at the kids athletic events.
A party to him meant a science project.
He didn't mind dressing up now and then.
He was a friend to everyone and could converse on any subject. He was a well rounded human being.
Tom and Sonia built an amazing life together and have a history that would make a beautiful book and movie. Dad kept impeccable journals documenting all of life's details which will be priceless in the years to come. He loved his family dearly and loved the Lord by the example he set every day. We miss him daily but know there's a bigger, better plan that awaits. Sonia can't wait for the day her and Tom can waltz in heaven. She asked him to save the first dance.

(picture taken back in December 2011, numbers have almost doubled now)
One of his final requests was that we all stay strong as a family and have fun together. We will all be getting together at Thanksgiving time in Santa Barbara, California, to celebrate his life and enjoy one another's company most likely through food and fun and wonderful memories, basking in the peaceful ocean that dad loved so much.
The bishop of his current ward (Bishop Corey Jones) said this of him at the Sunday meeting after his passing:
Brother Bateman was the prime example of Enduring to the End. Three months ago I extended a call to Brother and Sister Bateman to be leaders on the Young Single Adult Committee. It might have been unfamiliar territory to Brother Bateman, but he responded much like Nephi did when he was asked by The Lord to build a boat. Nephi asked The Lord where to find ore to make tools to build the boat. Brother Bateman, instead of murmuring excuses, which would have seemed perfectly legitimate, like "I am in a wheelchair" or "I have lung cancer," chose to respond with faith. He asked, "Can I have a list of the names and phone numbers of all the single adults?"
A week before he passed I visited Brother Bateman in the hospice center. I brought several young men from the ward with me so that we could have a short testimony meeting together. Brother Bateman asked the young men a question that I don't think they fully understood. He asked them "Do I seem concerned [about what happens next]?"
I am in no position to pass judgment on Brother Bateman, as imperfect as I am, but I do know that if his life of Christlike Service does not qualify him for the blessings of eternal life, there is very little hope for me.
He embodied this scripture: "Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life."
2 Nephi 31:20
He was also an authentic romantic...
with a great sense of humor:)
He loved helping the kids build things. His patience really shown through when working with them.
He was loved by scout leaders and scouts alike. He volunteered whenever and wherever he could. He orchestrated this evening by helping all the scouts make light sabers. He was a decorated scouter achieving the highest ranks.
He was always there to support the kids in their accomplishments.
Eric and his dad had a special relationship full of respect for one another.
He never passed up an opportunity to attend blessings, baptisms, confirmations, ordinations, sealings, you name it.
Always at the kids athletic events.
A party to him meant a science project.
He didn't mind dressing up now and then.
He was a friend to everyone and could converse on any subject. He was a well rounded human being.
Quite the looker too:)
Tom and Sonia built an amazing life together and have a history that would make a beautiful book and movie. Dad kept impeccable journals documenting all of life's details which will be priceless in the years to come. He loved his family dearly and loved the Lord by the example he set every day. We miss him daily but know there's a bigger, better plan that awaits. Sonia can't wait for the day her and Tom can waltz in heaven. She asked him to save the first dance.

(picture taken back in December 2011, numbers have almost doubled now)
One of his final requests was that we all stay strong as a family and have fun together. We will all be getting together at Thanksgiving time in Santa Barbara, California, to celebrate his life and enjoy one another's company most likely through food and fun and wonderful memories, basking in the peaceful ocean that dad loved so much.





3 comments:
Allyson that was beautiful. What an amazing tribute to such an wonderful man. And what a fabulous life he lived. Eric's parents are great examples of love and loyalty. What a blessing to all of you. Thanksgiving in Santa Barbara will be a magical experience I am sure. xoxo
Such a great post, Allyson! What a dear, dear man - and AMAZING example of faith, endurance, service and living life to the fullest. I love the plan for a dance... gave me a beautiful visual of what those sweet reunions might be like. I love the collection of pictures you have - so very priceless. Our love extends to you, the kids and Eric... ♥
Loved reading this beautiful post. Thank goodness families are forever!!! Love and miss ya!
Post a Comment