School!
Some don't think it's all that great but I've always considered it a blessing and my kids do too. We held our annual back to school appetizer party the Sunday before school started and invited the Thompson family to join in our chaos. We also celebrated Seth's 10th birthday with cake and ice cream. It was a win-win situation.
Laura's neighbors held a back to school get together in their culdesac and welcomed us too. We hung out and ate hot dogs, treats and snow cones and raced each other on these bikes and on foot. The boys (big and small) also had water gun fights. It was a great night to visit and get to know everyone better. I was worried my big kids might be a little too aggressive for the littles of this neighborhood but they did just fine.
Monday morning came soon enough with the kids up and at 'em ready to face the new year. Kennedy is 15 1/2 and starting her sophomore year. This is her first real year of high school because of all the moving we've done. She's a real trooper and has adjusted well to 5:45 am seminary. Long are our mornings of sleeping in till noon.
Leighton is 12 and a true 7th grader. This is his first year in junior high because of all the moving we'd done. His only request for school shopping was some comfortable Sperry's. He likes to dress a little classy. When he saw his back pack (Jantzen khaki with brown leather trim) he said it "spoke to him."
Jackson of course is 12 as well and hitting the junior high as a 7th grader. He is much more casual in his taste and personality. He picked Vans and didn't want anything to do with golf shirts or button up shirts. He's all about the comfort.
Quick/long story about the twins: The junior high held a little program where students that were new to the district could tour the school and meet with their counselor before school started. I decided to drop them off for this because they needed to figure out the lay of the land on their own. If I was there, they would depend on me. After the tour they were both sitting in the counselor's office. Leighton was doing A LOT of talking and Jackson was sick and tired of it. It was his turn. He took matters into his own hands and slapped Leighton right in front of the counselor.
Jackson felt terrible when he came to the van and was pretty down on himself. Leighton on the other hand, didn't even remember the incident by the time he got to the van. He was already over it and excited for the classes he was going to be taking.
I called the counselor to apologize and give her a heads up about their personalities and she called back to tell me how much she loved the boys and that they seemed like normal boys to her. She got a kick out of them. She was vacillating on whether or not to put them in the same English class and the display of aggression/affection helped her make that decision. I guess there was even a mom watching the whole scene go down that was impressed with the way they apologized and hugged it out that she wanted her son in their class. Jackson and Leighton have such different personalities and really enjoy their time away from each other but when bedtime rolls around, they are best buddies:)
Big Boston is 8 (almost 9) going on 16 and in 3rd grade. The schools here in Friendswood are K-3, intermediate 4-5, jr high 6-8, and high school 9-12 which means 3rd graders are the big kids on campus. Boston was a little nervous the first day so I drove him to school and picked him up but the 2nd day, he jumped on board the bus and now says it's fun.
William and Sammy are friends from the neighborhood. William (far left) is Boston's age and Sammy is a1st grader. Boston is by far the biggest kid at the school.
What have I been doing with all this free time? I've been to Target a few times, taken a nap or two, made dinner for my family every night, scrubbed toilets, done loads of laundry, paid bills and taken care of paperwork I've been avoiding, been to lunch with some friends, and most importantly, getting caught up on my blog! I am no longer a blog slacker. (I am sure much more but just like when Eric asks me "what did you do all day?" I really can't remember.)
Cheers to School!


3 comments:
I need to see the twins! I'm jealous of the counselor who got to see the slapping incident, I live for things like that from them! Ryder is in scouts now, and it dawned on me at his first pack meeting that the few weeks I was a den mother to your boys that they were RYDER'S AGE! Unbelievable how fast time goes and they are now in 7th grade. I'm loving all the updates, keep em coming!
This blogging makes me so happy!! Love all those updates. And the twins!!! Gosh....they just never fail me!!!! Love them! The kids look great and I'm sure you do too...cruising Target...enjoying your days :) Miss you!
Hahaha! I love it!! Love the title, the stories and great pics of the kids! My kiddos go back tomorrow - I'm already counting down to the nap I'm going to get!
PS... Wish I could go out to lunch with you - OR bump into you at Target. Those were the days!
Post a Comment