Eric and I went on a recent home buying trip to Texas and it was decided that this house would be our final resting place:) Very funny, but not really. We PLAN to stay awhile:)
The southern charm and brick had me at hello. Coming into the trip I thought I wanted new construction. After computing the numbers, this home made more sense. We are going to be able to make it our own and still be able to eat and clothe ourselves.
It's not the biggest house on the block but big enough for us. The back yard is going to house a small pool as the front and side yards will be the "play catch" area.
This patio is ready and waiting for us.
How about the interior? It's stuck in another era (the 80s as I recall, although built in 1998) - lots of baby clue carpet, endless wall paper, mauve and blue decorating and white melamine cabinets. However, the bones are great with arch ways, vaulted ceilings, tray ceilings, crown molding and adequate living space. I am excited for the transformation. What is especially nice for me is that Eric is going to be handling all the construction. He'll be living in it. He knows a thing or two about getting things done.
Family room looking into kitchen
Family room looking into back yard
Formal Dining, entry and formal living
Spacious kitchen with mini island
Hollywood style bathroom (2 vanities separated on each side)
One of the four lovely bedrooms
Master bathroom equipped with flowers.
Master retreat and master bedroom
I was surprised at how rural this part of Texas is. I told my parents it reminded me of Moses Lake, Washington, the town I was born in and where my sister Jodi lives.
The town of Friendswood has some great history and heritage. We chose this area largely because our friends, Paul and Laura Thompson, moved here a year and half ago and did all the research I would've needed to do. It's closest to the office Eric will be working out of and the schools are second to none. Graduation rate is 97.5% and free lunches are .8%. Those are pretty convincing numbers. The church is strong here but ward members are needed. As Laura put it, "there are no fluff jobs."
Eric is already very well acquainted with the good places to eat. Central Texas barbecue was the first place he took me. The first couple bites were yummy but then I was too full to enjoy much more. Eric always orders too much food. Yes, that amount on the table was just ours. Gluttony.
Donut shops are on every corner. This warm, moist apple fritter from Shipley Donuts met the grade.
While at lunch this day (we did a lot of eating), Eric was talking on one phone and texting on another and just asked me for a pen in preparation to write upside down, presenting a plan to me. He's quite the multi-tasker.
Paul and Laura were wonderful hosts. Laura drove me around the first day, familiarizing me with areas and the lay of the land. We went to lunch and did a little shopping at Target (very important piece of the puzzle). Laura was great to bounce "what would you do" questions off. She's got four active kids so she's well versed. Paul has been teaching Eric the ropes at work as Eric is taking over his old job. Paul and Eric make a great team and can talk each other under the bus. Perfect combination if you ask me. Less talking for me:)
The big move is taking place in June once kids are done with school and we're sure we've seen and done all we can do out west. Texas is a long way away from everything we've ever known. We are hoping to have a seamless move and blend right in because we've heard you "Don't want to Mess with Texas." (The actual saying is: Don't Mess with Texas - tomato, toemato.) Eric says Boston's hair has got to go. The guys at work (and surrounding areas) says it's not Texas appropriate. What? I sense a little discrimination...
Y'all come back now, you hear?:)















3 comments:
BOOO!!! HISSSSS!!!! Ok, just kidding....but I'm still bummed. You're right, Texas isn't close at all ;) The house looks perfect.....and I CANNOT wait to see the Bateman transformation. Oh, the possibilities. But leave the flower wallpaper.....it's timeless :) Glad to hear Eric has found all the hot spots for food. That's very important for your family survival. And as far as Boston's hair....girls will be beating your door down in NO time!! haha LOVE YOU!!!
Another adventure - Love all the spirit you guys have - Makes me sad to think Texas is so far away and we will miss much of the kids activities, but as Vard says, there is a cruise port close and we will just have to fly out often to visit!!
I love a successful house hunting trip! So glad you already have a friend to show you the ropes, sounds like you will love the area and found just the right spot!!
Post a Comment